Looking to take your cooking up a notch?? Here is a list of 12 things you can do right now that will instantly improve your cooking. They are concepts that I demonstrate and utilize in almost every class and pertain to everything that you cook. If you are unfamiliar with any of them, think about registering for a class or two! Happy Cooking!
- Invest in a good chef’s knife, keep it sharp and learn to us it properly!
- Start with the best, freshest ingredients. (including spices!)
- Use your hands.
- Use Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (rather than iodized salt and pre-ground pepper)
- Use high-heat oils when searing, sauteeing, grilling and roasting
- Don’t crowd the pan
- Deglaze to create layers of delicious flavor.
- Let roasted and grilled meats rest before carving and serving
- Bloom spices for maximum flavor
- Use finishers to round out the flavor of your finished dish.
- Rely on look, feel and experience rather than time in determining doneness.
- Properly measure ingredients in correct vessels (dry vs. wet).
- Take a basic cooking class!
And wouldn’t you know it, that we have a Cooking 201 class starting on Tuesday! That’s 4 weeks (one class per week) of advanced cooking basics that will definitely help you become a better cook. You have until tomorrow to register, so click here before it’s too late!